venerdì 23 novembre 2012

My mediterranean summer: The Croatian end

Well, after Turkey I thougt to accept my parents' invitation to celebrate my birthday in the Croatian island of Hvar. In order to do that I took a flight from Istanbul to Zagreb and then another one from Zagreb to Split. I had to wake up at 5 in the morning get to Ataturk airport in Istanbul, which took me over an hour and then go over all the check in and clearance procedures which took me also a long time. While I was in line I noticed at least four or five quarrels between passengers or between passengers and airlines personnel or policemen at passport control. Of course I didn't understand a word but I thought of it as a good thing since al least Turks speak up and don't take rubbish from others. I notice in Italy now people tend to take everything without complaining. When I arrived to Zagreb i had a three hours and a half layover and believe me: there is nothing in that airport. When I say nothing I mean nothing. I basically fell asleeep on one of those chaise long like chairs for a while and waited for my flight to Split which took less than 45 minutes. I had been to Split many years ago but I didn't really visit it properly. The center is lovely and Diocletian palace is absolutely a must see. Outside there are a lot of women selling little packs of lavender which you find everywhere in that area. The center of Split is fantastic: all white marbles and beautiful architecture. From there you can walk to the port and take the fast boat or the ferry to Hvar where I spent a few days. Hvar is well known for its nightlife but when I got there most of the people had gone plus the weather after a couple of days turned bad and rainy. The worst was on my birthday: rain all the time and coldish wind(!). Anyway I had a nice and quiet time there. We had the sea just in front of the house. Want to see what I'm talking about? Yes the first picture is me by the sea looking very seaside. As far as things to do in Hvar I cannot suggest a lot of because I didn't party nor explore so much as I was saying. However on the dining side I would suggest to go to konobas which are like tavernas where the food is genuine and much better than restaurants I would say. The one I liked better was Konoba Nono in Jelsa an hour away from Hvar town. In town I tried Lesina which I thought was good homemade food and Alviz very popular amongst the locals. The cuisine is very good: mostly seafood cooked with wine and vegetables like Gregada, a fish stew with potatoes or Buzara, shellfish in a wine and parsley sauce. Very tasty. My long summer ended taking the ship to Ancora from Split on a melancholic tuesday night. I had tasted, lived , breathed the Mediterranean which is and always will be the natural habitat for my species: after all I was born and raised by the beautiful Mediterranean sea and I'll always bring with me. Can't wait until next summer...

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento